Learn more about manatees and the research led by
DISL's Manatee Sighting Network
- To request Manatee Sighting Network data, please contact DISL/MSN manager Elizabeth Hieb at firstname.lastname@example.org. To avoid use conflicts and duplication of efforts, data requests will be processed under our established data sharing plan developed in collaboration with the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries and USFWS. We welcome requests such as production of maps, data summaries, and figures for specific locations and time periods based on these data.
For additional information about DISL’s Manatee Sighting Network, data collection methods, and processed data, view our metadata record and publications by Pabody et al. 2009 and Hieb et al. 2017.
- Manatee Sighting Maps - DISL's Manatee Sighting Network records hundreds of manatee sightings each year from across the US. Learn more about when and where we receive sightings and how many manatees travel to the northern Gulf of Mexico.
- West Indian manatee factsheet - A great educational tool created in collaboration with the Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Consortium.
- Check out the latest news from DISL's Manatee Sighting Network with our semi-annual newsletter:
- Learn about our sister network, the Alabama Marine Mammal Stranding Network (ALMMSN). Report all dolphin and whale strandings to ALMMSN at 1-877-WHALE-HELP.
- Thanks to our many partners, collaborators, and funders: